Wednesday 3 December 2014

Trying a new technique....

A quilting client of mine picked up her quilt today and it was so pretty.

I had to know about the pattern so she brought me the info. It's a block called the Disappearing Four Patch. I've heard of the Hidden Nines, but not this one!

Here's how the block is supposed to look...

It's made quite easily using 5" squares...so charm packs would be ideal. I googled the block and came up with this link....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA-10A_Uc6k

When my customer came to pick up her quilt, she also brought the pattern to show me, and it was written by the same person in the youtube video, Jenny Doan.

Here's the start of my block....a four-patch using 5" squares...




Then you make a cut 1" on either side of the seam lines, horizontally and vertically. It's a good idea to work on a mat that you can rotate so you don't disturb the pieces and get all mixed-up!



You then exchange the large squares at the top and the large squares at the bottom.



Then rotate the mini four-patch in the middle by a quarter turn....




And sew the whole thing back together again!



Now my friend told me that you really have to watch that everything gets sewn together properly. She actually had a couple sewn together improperly....but when I watched the youtube video didn't I see a block done improperly the exact same way as my friend, lol !!! The funny thing is, I like the wrong version better!!!

Here is a picture of an example from my friend's quilt followed by a picture of my block done the "wrong" way....




I think I'll have to try the Disappearing Four Patch on a baby quilt sometime! Love it!

The potluck and Christmas meeting of the Norfolk Guild yesterday was great. Lots of good food and good cheer! I just forced myself to have a bit of lunch just now, even though I don't think I'm hungry yet after all the wonderful food yesterday!


1 comment:

  1. Excellent tutorial! Thank you! Now I'll have to try this one too!

    ReplyDelete