Thursday 11 December 2014

Applique woes!

I've been so excited this past year to work on a big applique project. The pattern is by Irene Blanck and is called Auntie Green's Garden. Have a look HERE on Irene's blog to see a picture of the quilt! I still love it. It's a little more difficult to work on because I'm used to stitching on a piece that is more easily held, ie; 8" blocks, 12" blocks, etc. This one starts on a large centre medallion background, then a second border fabric is added so you can continue to applique, then a final 3rd fabric is added to complete the piece. Here is a picture of my progress....
So far, this measures approx. 46" x 56". I'm really happy with how it's looking. The problem? When I started this quilt at the start of the year (or earlier?) my plan was to have the applique done by the end of the year and then enjoy leisurely quilting it thru' 2015...maybe in time for the Fair in the fall. Obviously, that goal is kaput!....and that's ok. I'm not going to rush, but saying that, I do want to make better progress. I have to say I don't think I've touched this quilt in a couple of months, and I know exactly why.

The part of the process that is hard for me is putting time aside to do the prep work....picking out the right little pieces of fabric. It's so much easier to just resort to an easier project like this...

....which I'm loving, but was meant to be a take-along project to guild meetings, etc, since it is an easier applique project.

Or this....
....Flower Garden by Kim McLean. I'm loving working with the fabrics and the large, gentle lines of the pieces.

As I write this post I'm encouraged by a thought. I normally take the last two weeks of the year to enjoy Christmas....no longarming. I think I will make it a time to try to do a lot of prepping for the next two corners of this centre medallion on Auntie Green's Garden. I am really looking forward to having this part done so I can work on the brown "vine" part and then adding the next border. The funny part is, the applique work to me is the relatively easy and quicker part of the process. Once the pieces are ready I just love stitching them on. It's that darn prep work!!!!

Here's my new goal.....it would be nice to have the applique done by the end of 2015, then start the quilting in 2016. 

Time to get to work for the day. It's snowy days like this that I'm even more happy with the ability to work out of my home. I'm so lucky to be doing what I do, in so many ways.

Be safe!



1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying your progress on these beautiful projects! They will be amazing when finished!
    Prep time has always slowed me down, too.I'm so glad you talked me into to trying needleturn! It has made prep time much faster! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete