Monday 15 December 2014

Abstract art, abstract applique

Well, I managed to avoid Limeridge mall yesterday. We did go on a little outing in search of a picture frame. On the weekend I received an early Christmas gift. It's an original painting by a Canadian artist....and the first part of this abstract post.



The colours are great and may even inspire a quilt someday.


The abstract quilt block is this one...



It's a block from the Flower Garden quilt I'm working on by Kim McLean and, for some reason, the centre piece of the flower was appliqued on all wonky! I was thinking this morning that it's not often I feel compelled to tear off a piece of applique and re-do it,  I actually  don't think I can remember this happening at all. I'm usually content to let the pieces lay as they are.  I do strive to improve my applique with new techniques, but I am by no means a perfectionist...afterall this is my hobby and supposed to be fun. But this piece was disturbing to my sensibilities and had to be removed. It was an easy and quick fix, so why not?....and I think it looks much better now....



It's funny that I let it bother me, as the block is a whimsical piece and no one would have thought it was not meant to be all wonky.

I did manage to get a couple of things Christmas-y accomplished yesterday. We got the tree up and decorated...



Looks real nice this year, but do you think I could find the tree topper? No! I have no idea what happended to it last year....maybe got broken, who knows!

So I came up with an alternate topper. I usually like to get a new ornament each year and this year I got three. One of them  was a find from AKA Designs in Simcoe. Actually, all three ornaments were bought there! Here is one of the ornaments in it's new home atop the Christmas tree....I like it!

hat I

1 comment:


  1. I love the tree topper! The small teasers of the Flower Garden quilt show it will be a Fun quilt when completed!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete