Friday 19 December 2014

'Tis the Season!

'Tis the season to enjoy spending time with good friends.....and that's what I did on Thursday!

I have a good friend who is also a longarmer and we have always said it would be nice to do lunch every 6 weeks or so. Well, life is busy but we do manage to have an outing a few times a year. I really didn't think we would manage before Christmas, but thankfully I was wrong!

Not only did we have lunch but we had a nice visit with Lana at Quilt Junction in Waterford. She is having awesome "12 Days of Christmas" specials....make sure to check it out! I think I'll have to make a quick trip back today, because the item I'm interested is the special for today.

We went on to have lunch at The Windmill Country Market in Mt. Pleasant. What a nice experience. Not only is the food incredible but there is a deli, bakery, etc on the main floor and upstairs is wonderful wood furniture, gift items and art work.....all beautifully displayed. I know I'll be back one day soon to purchase one of the jute area rugs that I passed on yesterday.

All of my life, turkey dinner means having some kind of vegetable juice served...most likely Garden Cocktail. Love it! I've always hated, though, plunking that unsexy plastic container of juice on my Christmas table....so this year I thought I would keep my eye out for a nice pitcher. Yesterday at the Windmill I came across the perfect vessel....

The "Gluggling Fish Pitcher"!!! When I saw it, I knew it was exactly what I wanted! I guess it's not a new thing, but I had never seen one before. Even better that it's a brilliant red, which is what I use for a hit of colour in my kitchen. I haven't tested it yet, but after pouring the beverage it's supposed to make a glugging sound. I can't wait to see my grandson's reaction at Christmas dinner.

We ended our outing with a lovely glass of wine at Devlin's in Mt. Pleasant, toasting a Merry Christmas to each other. Thank you, my friend, for a lovely day!

My day doesn't end there!

Last evening, my lovely fiance and I dined at The Twisted Lemon in Cayuga. I guess I would have to say it's my favourite restaurant. Such a nice comfortable atmosphere for the fine-dining experience. I had the Twisted Lemon Chicken for an entree but decided to push myself out of my comfort zone and ordered the Rabbit Agnolotti for an appetizer. I had to ask what that meant! I have never eaten rabbit before.  Here is the description of the dish...

"braised rabbit and ricotta stuffed agnolotti, mushroom and hazelnut ballotine, organic purple carrot puree, pickled squash, kumquats, brown butter sauce with fresh sage and shaved Pecorino cheese"

The description  made it sound so good I had to try it!

Here is a picture of me with the man behind the Twisted Lemon, Chef Dan...

When he asked how our meal was, I told him that, as always, the flavours he creates in the different foods is simply wonderful. He replied that they at the Twisted Lemon are flavour junkies! And that's exactly what makes the experience of his restaurant worth every penny....it's not about trying to impress you with massive mounds of food, it's about the flavours. Many times when I'm eating there I find myself just closing my eyes and savouring the taste of the food.

Not much in the way of sewing yesterday! Hopefully I'll have a bit of time to work on Grand Illusion today...I still have to begin Part 3 and now Part 4 has been released this morning!

Have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great perfect day. A day full of memories!

    ReplyDelete