Sunday 29 March 2015

The perfect meditation

It's Sunday and I decided to take a bit of extra time today to do my applique. I'm starting to feel a little bit of stress lately, so to sit at my Auntie Green's Garden, for me, is the perfect prescription for some down-time.

I've been working on stems and leaves for a couple of days, so after a bit more of the same, this morning I also did a bit of OTB (off-the-block) work and picked up a flower to work on. When I was picking fabrics for this section of the quilt last week, I was finding myself looking longingly at my Fassett scraps and wondering if I could sneak a few in. I decided I just couldn't mix the look up by incorporating these scraps.....but, I over-ruled myself in the end and got a couple in...


I'm so happy for another reason! I don't have as much time to piece as I would like, but I had set a goal for myself this week to finish the top of my oldest UFO.....and I did it! This one has been on the shelf since 2004 and now it's complete. I hope to have it quilted up nice for the May guild meeting as it is part of the guild's UFO challenge.








While I was sitting at the sewing machine working on this quilt, I thought of how a couple of things had made my sewing a bit easier over the years. One is the "Gypsy Sit-upon"....I have problems with my lower back, and sitting on this while sewing has made life so much more comfortable!


Another gem of a tool is this, a stiletto made for me as a gift from a dear friend. Helpful in so many ways, I will have to thank her again for such a thoughtful gift.....and it's pretty to look at too!



Looks like a beautiful day out there....perfect for shopping around for window trim??


To see what other people are poking at today, have a look at Kathy's blog over at "Kathy's Quilts".

Oh, I almost forgot! Last year I was fortunate to be able to attend my first Quilt Canada in St. Catharines. The experience was everything I had hoped....even though it took a few days to recover when I got home! The other day I saw a posting that Quilt Canada 2016 will be held in the Toronto area, venue TBA. I think I'm going to start saving my pennies!


Have a great day, and I hope it includes putting a few stitches in one of your own UFO's!








6 comments:

  1. Some stitching time always helps with frayed nerves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect day to shop for window trim!
    Your finished UFO is beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing at the May meeting.
    Good tools make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be so fun to meet you there... I will be going for sure!
    Love your UFO... did you hand piece those blocks? They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hand-piece the blocks and that's how it sat all these years! Went on retreat in January and got most of the nine-patches done, finally. And, ok, we'll meet for lunch next June at Quilt Canada, it's a date! I wonder where they'll hold it?

      Delete
  4. Your UFO is beautiful!! I have a gypsy too and they are very comfortable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra, your UFO is stunning, I love the colours you chose, I too will look forward to seeing it in May.
    AQS will be holding one of their shows in Daytona Florida next Feb 2016, if all goes well, I will be visiting for a day. It's a 4 hour round trip for me, as it will be on the other coast, but I am so looking forward to it.
    Diane xo

    ReplyDelete