Tuesday 24 March 2015

Auntie Green's Garden

Yesterday I finally took the time to prepare some applique pieces for my Auntie Green's Garden. I haven't touched this project in months which makes me feel bad since it's supposed to be my main project!

Here it is waiting to be worked on again. I have even had all the little freezer paper templates cut out and ready. I guess the worst part of applique for me is the prep work. I just want to get to the part when I can sit down and poke at it!

After what you see in the above photo is complete, there is another final border to be attached of another neutral fabric. Then......more applique!

I still love the quilt and am glad to have sat with my morning coffee and stitched at it once again. It's one of the more difficult pieces I've worked on, as usually the background I work with is "block" size.....anywhere from 6" to 18" perhaps.

This has a lot more size to it so it's a bit more of a slow-go for me.

I thought I'd share the tip/technique that, for me, improved my work and made applique more enjoyable for me.

I've tried most methods of hand-applique....freezer paper on the top, freezer paper on the bottom, glue, liquid starch, removing paper afterwards by cutting a slit in the back of the piece, soaking the block to loosen the glue and remove the paper.....etc.....

These are all great methods.....but not for me. As I've said before, I can't stand all the fiddly prep-work! Some of the above methods, I have to admit, may even give more precise results in the end.....but I'm in it to enjoy the process and hopefully it pays off in the end!

What helped me a few years ago was a book I purchased called Applique the Piece O' Cake Way.
The book has very good directions and pictures. What I learned that most improved my technique was their instruction on circles (the bane of my applique!) and finger-pressing.

I like to do traditional needle-turn applique. I start by taking a freezer paper pattern, pressing it on to the front of the fabric and tracing around it.


I cut around it leaving a scant 1/4" around and snip any curves. I remove the paper and fingerpress on the drawn line to make a crease. Hopefully you can see that in these two pictures....

I pin the piece onto the project then proceed to needleturn. The cotton fabric "remembers" that crease for a long time...I can't remember it not doing so!  So, as I sew along I just swipe that seam allowance under easily  with my needle.

.....and, voila.....

It might seem scary to some people to try this, but I say why not give it a try? It's not difficult and you will only get better with practice!

Have a great day!




2 comments:

  1. That is the way I applique too, although I don't do it enough.
    Love your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You converted me ages ago! It is so relaxing. The prep work is not my favourite part of applique.
    Auntie Green's Garden is looking GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete