Thursday 26 March 2015

I'm ready for April showers, lol

All I have to say this morning is.....ARRRGGHHH!!!!!!

This is the scene outside my window at the moment....



 I mean, at the end of March I can deal with a flurry or two, but this is snowing! I guess I can be thankful that we haven't had a blizzard this month, which we all know can very well happen at this time of year. Hope I haven't jinxed us!

I worked on a nice quilt this week. It would be what I call "light custom". It had a nice freehand design in the main body of the quilt, a sweet inner border treatment and a fun feather in the 8" outer border. I am happy with the results.

Here is a picture of my inner border. I love quilting this and I love how it looks.....





I was thrilled with the outer border. I quilted a "hooked" feather, which is probably my favourite feather to do and to look at. It's a bit technical to try to explain here maybe, but usually I do a feather in the border by going around the quilt three times....once for the spine, once to feather up one side of the spine and, finally, once more to complete the other side. For some reason I did it differently this time in a way that's "new to me" but I know other longarmers have been doing it a while. I was able to complete the feather in one pass around the quilt, and it looks awesome! I'd say it cut the time  of quilting it out by at least half and doesn't compromise the integrity of the feather at all. Love it!

I finished up by quilting a "beadboard" on the outside edge of the feather.

Have a great (snow) day!


P.S. I'm going to add to this by saying that I'm going to "link" this post over to a blog by Gemma at  Pretty Bobbins. Have a look and enjoy her take on Modern quilting!







3 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilting on a lovely quilt!
    The snow was gorgeous on the trees this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilting Sandra, beautiful work as always.
    Make sure that snow is gone before I come home. xo Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the full quilt. You did a wonderful job. What a talent you have.

    ReplyDelete