Tuesday 6 January 2015

Another "start"!

What a dreary-looking day out there. Just makes me want to go into hibernation in my sewing room for the next couple of months!

This afternoon is one of my guild meetings. I do want to go....we are getting info on the retreat I'm going on later this month! I know, though, that if I don't go I will get the information by email....but still want to get it first hand!

I'm also looking forward to the speaker, Maggie Vanerweit from Stone Threads Fibre Art. I think I may have seen her at a booth at Quilt Canada this past year. Fibre arts isn't my forte, (yet!) but it's always nice to see or hear of different people`s passions!

I've put my first few stitches in Life is Beautiful. It's obvious that I haven't embroidered in a while....but it's only the first block. Those little stitches will surely improve as time goes on! I like to take some hand-work to guild, so I thought I'd get this little cutie started so I could take it along. I love the tan fabric in that I don't have to worry as much about little "varicose veins" showing thru'. Of course, this means I'll have to take a trip to Quilt Junction for some co-ordinating reds and tans. Or maybe a subtle hint to my children that a G/C to Quilt Junction for my birthday is in order???? Here is a picture of my start this morning...

This project is taking me back to my childhood. I have fond memories of my mother teaching us to embroider by using iron-on transfers on the cuffs of pillowcases. It would start with a trip to Kresge's to pick out a transfer and some floss....and, of course, a pop and pastry at the lunch counter....

Does this picture bring back any memories??? I was always fascinated by all the lovely baked goods displayed under the glass on the countertop!

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I have wonderful memories of doing embroidery as a teenager. I'm seeing touches of embroidery on quilts now and love it! Time to pick up the needle and floss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved sitting at the counter with my grandma....we could pick a sweet from under the dome. Those were very special moments ..I treasure the memories...thanks for reminding me of a fun time.

    looking forward to seeing this treasure of a quilt.

    hugs and stitches

    Debbie A.

    ReplyDelete