Monday 5 January 2015

Grand Illusion Spoiler Alert !

I was able to sew on the weekend and make good head-way on the Bonnie Hunter mystery, Grand Illusion, found HERE on the Quiltville blog.

At first, my head was swirling with the motion of this quilt, but now that it's been on the design wall for a bit I find myself liking it, afterall. There is a lot of interesting new concepts in this quilt, such as the sashing is different "measurements" than the blocks themselves so that there is not much in the way of matching up the seams. Hard for me to explain, but if you're doing the quilt, you'll get it! Here's a picture of what I have so far....

I have to admit that I've made a mistake in my piecing, but there's so much going on in the quilt I don't know if I'll go back and correct it or not!! As I was piecing the main blocks, I made a mental note to myself to remember that the four-patches in the centre of the blocks should all be sewn in in the same way. Obviously, the over-50 rule was in effect.....which is - make a note, don't trust my memory!!! Well, as soon as the blocks were up on the wall, I noticed that the four-patches are sewn in every which-way. Now, on another quilt I'd for sure go back an correct this, but on this one, I think it's going to be "as-is". Maybe a case of picking my battles?, I think so!

We were out-and-about yesterday running some errands and ended up in Port Dover so we popped in to the Urban Parisienne for a hot beverage. My go-to in a coffee shop is a Chai Tea Latte, and this little restaurant sure makes a fine one. Very smooth flavour. It happened to be just after noon, so I thought I'd try their soup of the day. Now, Iain judges a restaurant on how well they make a salad entree....for me it's all about the soup! Yesterday the soup-of-the-day was Broccoli-Blue Cheese. I'm not a fan of blue cheese, but thought I'd take a chance. So glad! It was awesome and I think I'll go there again to try other soups they offer.


I'll have to try harder to become a good blogger. I know that other people share pictures on their blog of nice meals they experience. Well, that thought occurred to me as soon as I took the last spoonful of my lovely soup. I'm going to share the picture that I did take and promise to try to do better in the future!!!

Obviously, pictures aren't so tantalizing after the fact, are they? :S

On the subject of food still.....We have had such great success trying recipes off of Pinterest this last year. I think I'll share the occasional experimental dinner. Tonight I am going to try this...Spicy Honey Glazed Chicken. (I'll have to try to figure out how to share Pinterest pics on here).

 We're finding that we can find healthy recipes on Pinterest and they taste great using all kinds of spices, vinegars, and oils. I remember back 40 years ago to my mom sitting down to a naked piece of fish or chicken, trying to lose weight with one group or another. No wonder she was doomed to fail, depriving herself of great tasting food! I`m hoping that I can achieve some success at getting the belly down before the wedding this summer....I have a dress I need to fit in to!

One last note....yesterday I tried to change the settings on my blog. If you would like to leave a comment and don't have a google acct, etc., then you should be able to choose "anonymous" below and now do so.

Have a great day!!!



2 comments:

  1. The soup sounds delicious! I think the piecing of the four patch adds interest. I would leave it! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UP is my fav spot - you can like them on facebook and get their daily menus - sometimes my mouth just waters.
    Love, love, love the Quilt - I am a member of the Quilting Bee on facebook and see a lot of ladies doing this quilt.

    ReplyDelete