Wednesday 29 April 2015

My Sunburst story

In February of 2004 I saw an antique quilt that I absolutely loved. The next month the same quilt showed up in a quilting magazine, Fons and Porters Love of Quilting....

I couldn't believe it....the quilt that I couldn't get out of my head appearing there a short time later!...what's a girl to do but rush out and buy the fabric and get at it, right!?

So that's what I did. I hand-pieced the nine Sunburst blocks. I think it's probably the easiest way to get good results on this block. They worked up beautifully. That's where the project came to a screeching halt!.....for ten long years!

Now, flip ahead to the present time. One of the guilds I go to has a member who started up a great challenge for the guild. We are to list five of our UFO's  and she allots points we can earn depending on how much work is involved to finish each quilt (up to 10 points per quilt). She has split the guild into teams, so as we finish UFO's on our list we earn points for our team.

I took this quilt to my retreat in January to work on the nine-patches needed to finish this up. That's all that's been waiting to do all these years, after hand-piecing the blocks....just some nine-patches!

Sunburst is on my list. The end of the competition is next Tuesday. I am a few days late on starting to quilt this on the longarm, but still achievable....maybe.

I am doing the stitch-in-the-ditch work first, which is working up surprisingly fast....

I still love this quilt....the colours, the blocks, everything!

But, wouldn't you know it....the best laid plans go awry. I have a family emergency that will take me up to Waterloo this morning. Hopefully, everything will be ok. The question is, do I simplify my plans for the quilting of this quilt for the sake of the team....or quilt it how I've imagined?

Have a great day!


2 comments:

  1. Hope everything goes well in Waterloo today! This quilt has waited a long time to be completed. It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you, my vote is to finish this quilt as you imagined it....otherwise it won't be the quilt you loved. Diane xo

    ReplyDelete