Sunday 19 April 2015

It's Sunday, time to relax!

What a beautiful weekend! I just love to be able to sit in my backyard and enjoy all of it.....the birds, the dogs playing with each other and digging in the dirt!

Of course, I started my day with a little stitching time. Usually I am quite satisfied with my work...I can't say I'm terribly picky. It's not often I do any ripping out of stitches. I think last week I may have shared one of my latest Flower Garden blocks. This is part of it, anyway....


I have to say that I'm fairly new at working with Kaffe Fassett fabrics. I think I'm still learning on how best to use them. With this "flower", I don't think there is enough contrast in the fabrics. It was a finicky block, using reverse applique, but I had to do it over....I just wasn't happy with it. So frogging it was...rip it, rip it!

Here's the fabrics I thought I'd try instead...

But then again...

Yes, that's it! I was inspired by my friend, T.A.'s, use of yellow in one of her Flower Garden blocks!

Here is the block, I'm glad I made the change....


For all that I don't like to question my choices and do something over again, sometimes it's worth it.

I haven't worked on Urban Owls for a little while....I think I've been a bit intimidated by the next blocks! This week I dove in and tried one out. Here is Urban Owls so far...

The next block is one I haven't seen before, but, going by the blurb in the instructions, it seems it may be a popular block in Australia. It's called "Queen of the May" and it was partially pieced by sewing machine and partly by hand. This picture shows it almost finished. I've pinned it to the design wall onto what will be the background. Now I just need to repeat the block using different fabrics. It is not a hard block but takes a bit of time....I like it!




Check out Kathy's blog at Kathy's Quilts , for another a look at what other quilters are working on today!

The dogs had a lot of fun in this weather this weekend and here is poor Cooper at the end of the day Saturday, all tuckered out!


Looks like it's going to be another beautiful, sunny day.....perfect for a drive this afternoon to Quilt Junction in Waterford to check out Lana's Anniversary sale!


Have a great day!

11 comments:

  1. I notice you figured out how to post the button... awesome!
    Enjoyed seeing the projects you are working on. The circular block looks like fun to sew!
    Hope you get some great deals at the sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your second flower much better. Kaffe's fabrics are beautiful but do not work well for everything Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really perfect change you did. I think it's difficult to work with those types of fabric. Mostly I use small scale pattern on my fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect yellow choice for your flower! T.A.'s yellow influenced a lot of us! I'm hoping to get to Quilt Junction today too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes...I like that flower better. And I really love Queen of the May. I've never seen that block before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your first block rendition looks like it could be a Kaffe fabric all on it's own. Yes, a little more contrast was needed and you came up with a wonderful rendition. I love that Australian block - it has a hexagon in it. Where did you find it? Would like to give it a try. I invite you to link to WIPs Be Gone (ends Monday, midnight) to show off your progress. You got a lot done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, your second choice is perfect! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your second choice of fabrics for that flower. Well done for ripping it and starting over. And I don't think I have ever seen that block and I'm an Aussie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a great improvement with your new choice of fabrics. Cooper looks like he is really tired

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flower block is very pretty done in those wild fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fabric adjustment was definitely the right move. The final result is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete