Tuesday 3 February 2015

Winter wonderland

It looks like an old-fashioned winter out there and there's actually more coming down as I look out the window.



I've never minded shovelling, but I think I'm at the point where I can see myself operating a snow-blower. My muscles are screaming at me this morning...so maybe I should listen....or start getting into better shape to better handle the snow??? lol

Part of my snow-day on Monday was working intently on a custom quilt. That takes a bit of a toll on the muscles, also...so today I was hoping for a visit from the so-called quilt police and they would tell me to stay in my comfy chair and continue with some hand-quilting for the remainder of the day! No such luck, but I did have a nice hour working on my Raise the Barn Roof High. I'm just kinda free-handing the quilting design...not sure how it will look, but I'm enjoying it!

I had plans for this small quilt to be a wall-hanging. I'm changing my mind, though. I am using luscious wool batting, which is heaven to quilt, but it doesn't actually make for a nice flat wall-hanging. It's quite puffy, and lovely to snuggle under. I was going to put a muslin backing on it since it was going to be hanging on a wall and no one would see the back, but then decided that this piece of fabric was perfect for this quilt....

Love it! So now that it has a pretty back, and is too puffy to hang, this will become a nice little lap quilt....just the right size for my morning applique/coffee time! Sometimes people (aka significant others) will ask "who's that quilt for?". I find that most of my quilts aren't meant for anyone in particular but by the end of the process, the quilt has dictated exactly what it's purpose is!

On another quilty note....is there a need for yet another quilting project in my life....no!!!....but this little block on my design wall is speaking quite loudly to me!

I'll let you know if I decide to listen in a future post....have to get at my day, for now!

Have a great day!



1 comment:

  1. I love the quilting on your Raise the Barn Roof High. It will be the perfect size for morning warmth! That little block on your design wall is a wonderful block for fussy cutting the center. Great block!

    ReplyDelete