Tuesday 24 February 2015

A UFO no longer....

I have finished my Raise the Barn Roof High and I like it!

I really enjoyed the whole process of this quilt. The pattern was well written, it went together quickly. I really followed Victoria's colours closely, but next time I will try something different and maybe a larger size. This has come to measure 36x36...a perfect lap-size for my early morning applique/coffee time!


I also thoroughly enjoyed the hand-quilting of this....I used wool batting, the fabrics were super soft. I wanted to quilt it similar to Victoria's, also, and thought it would be awkward on the longarm. It's quilted in a spiral design from the centre out. I started in the middle with a spiral template I have....that took care of the middle 12" or so of the quilt. I thought it would be nice to try quilting the rest by just eyeballing as I went....not striving for perfect spacing, but close enough! Well....it soon became apparent that this wasn't going to be the best plan, so for the rest of the quilt I used my Clover White marking pen and sketched it out as I went along.
It was a very relaxing process and I'm happy with the outcome. It probably won't win any awards at the Fair but it pleases me!

I also followed Victoria's tutorial on "facing" a quilt. The instructions were awesome and I would recommend trying this.Here's a picture of my work this morning...





This will be a method of finishing a quilt that I will definitely do again. The pattern, the tutorial and Victoria's blog can be found HERE at The Silly BooDilly.

Something else I recommend.....when you've done a quilt, let the designer know how you enjoyed his/her pattern or technique. I've done this a couple of times, and have always found the designers to be interested in how people have put their spin on their creations. Although, in the case of this quilt, I really followed the colours/quilting design quite closely!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. You did a fabulous job Sandra! I am so delighted that you enjoyed the quilt pattern and the binding tutorial! And you are so right... hearing back from those that have used a pattern or tutorial is such a joy for the designer. Thank you so very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete