Sunday 29 May 2016

Quilt show season!

What a nice few days we've had! The weather has certainly helped the plants and trees pop in the last week or so.

It was two weeks ago today that I was driving home from the Simcoe area and drove through a little snow flurry....now we're into the temperature feeling like the mid-30's!

It's so nice to go out in the garden each morning and see what's new. I think my favourite, at least this time of year, is my Snowball bush...although now that I see it in a photograph, it seems I'll need to try shaping it a bit after it's finished blooming.

I'm worried about the Limelight Hydrangea that I planted last Spring. No sign of life yet, even though when I scratch the bark there is a bit of green. I had high hopes for that one.

On Saturday we attended a quilt show in Dunnville. They certainly had a lot of quilts to show. Now I'm feeling like a bad blogger since I didn't even think to take pictures :(

I think it's the first time I've left a quilt show empty-handed! Must be because I was feeling a little under the weather, but it was nice to window shop.

I always think that it's nice to come away with one inspiration at a quilt show, be it colour or design or what-have-you.

I happened to be inspired by a quilt that is very much like one I've had on the go. My project is a neutral block exchange. The blocks are 5" unfinished and we are nearing the end of the exchange. We will have almost 400 of these when we are done!

Here are a few...
At the quilt show, there was a similar one but made of all Kaffe Fassett fabrics. It was glorious! Geez, I wish I had thought to take a picture!

I've made up a block to remind myself of the quilt...
I'll have to take care with the values of the fabrics I choose, as this one seems to be a bit too blendy between the centre and the first row. Value has been a problem for me in many of my quilts.

I don't have a huge stash of Fassett, but I think any bright will be ok for my version....especially my yummy TulaPink fabrics!

I have started with a 2" centre and added three rows that are cut 1" wide.

I remember when I first started the neutral exchange I made a few coloured ones out of speculation. I did like them, so I'm not surprised that this particular quilt caught my eye.

I'll have to think of a name for this quilt....any suggestions are most welcome!!!

I've been trying this week to catch up a bit with of my Quilty365/Year in My Life. I really like this one...

...and these, too.....
These are some pretty jolly hearts! The pink "heart" heart is actually from a fabric that I had but I don't think I have it anymore. I begged this scrap from a friend. The one with the white house was gifted from a friend...I wish I had a couple yards of that one!

I am linking up with SoScrappy for ScrapHappySaturday to see what others are doing with the scraps in their stash and with Kathy over at Kathy's Quilts  to catch up on what others are stitching on today. I'm also linking up with Cynthia over at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh, Scrap!

My lawn is in dire need of mowing so I think I'll get at it after breakfast before it gets too hot again. After that, I think I may take some applique outside and take it easy. Sounds like a plan!

Have a wonderful Summer-like Spring day! 

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it so funny how we get attached to certain fabrics and miss them when they're gone?!? It's really hot here and a shock to the system for sure. I'll be taking it slowly today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot here too. I will do my outside jobs this morning and then retreat into the air conditioning for a while! I think I have some of that house fabric lurking somewhere in my stash...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have sooo many fun projects! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your hearts for the Quilty 365 project! They will make a great year-long quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good idea to make up a block as a reminder of the quilts we give away. Perfect fodder for an Orphan Block Quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks are looking really pretty. I always kick myself afterwards when I forget to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making a Kaffe quilt myself, I agree that value is difficult. I find getting good contrast is easier by switching between hot and cool fabrics. Thanks for sharing your pretty blocks with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Kaffe fabrics. So many great hearts.

    ReplyDelete