Sunday 25 October 2015

Much happiness!

Sunday again....time for a bit of slow stitching.

First I have to share something I discovered only because Fall is here....I was walking past my young Catalpa and spotted a perfect teeny nest. For some reason it made me smile, maybe because, little did we know it all summer, but a little family was nesting in our little tree.

So, I've been finishing up the first border of my Flower Garden quilt. Here is a picture of the pattern.....
It doesn't really give instructions on the preferred method on doing the six-pointed stars, but I figured English Paper Piecing was the way to go. I haven't done any English Paper Piecing in a few years, even with the hexie-craze that's been going on the last couple of years!

I have actually made a quilt using EPP many years ago in my past as a hockey/baseball mom. You can get a lot of handwork done during practices and the half hour before game time!!!

I find it very satisfying doing this and with the results.

Here is one of the two stars, front and back....


So pretty!

Then appliqued onto the border....

....and the other.....

I had considered removing the paper before appliquing them on, but opted for doing the applique, then snipping out the background behind the stars....

 ....and with the paper removed....

....and, voila!, the top border of Flower Garden in all it's glory!!!

I just love it!!!

Now for the next three borders, lol.

One of my precious quilting friends offered to do us a favour at our wedding this summer. She greeted the guests and had them sign signature blocks that she had pieced. It was a hit! I just got them back this week and will plan to make them into a quilt on my Christmas holidays.

Here are a few....

I was looking at them with fond memories of all who helped us celebrate our marriage, when I came across this block...
What the heck??!! Was it a family member writing something in some kind of mathematical code???

When my husband got home, I showed him and it had him stymied, as well.....for about five minutes.

Then he had a brainstorm that it may be Korean since we had Korean friends attend the wedding. We googled Korean language, and there it was! Brilliant!

I just saw my friend yesterday and was able to ask her the words and she told me, " Much Happiness". So sweet!

Have a visit with Kathy at Kathy's Quilts to see what others are stitching on today!

Have a great day and much happiness!






6 comments:

  1. What a lovely border...so much intricate applique and work involved! :) beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Slow Stitching Sunday. Your applique is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Flower Garden border is amazing! As a novice appliquer, I'm in awe of your skills. What a wonderful memories your wedding quilt will hold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that border! Your Korean block is very sweet too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and fun appliqué border! Your signature blocks will make a nice memory quilt of your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bright EPP stars make fabulous applique motifs. What a fun border!

    ReplyDelete